On Andros, there are severe issues with the volume of waste we create. Reducing this waste is important to all of us. Around 44%* of household waste is organic waste – that is, waste food from your kitchen or garden. Today, most of this waste is thrown into our bins.
- This waste is smelly, attracts lots of animals and rodents
- This is unpleasant for any unfortunate residents who live nearby.
- In the summer months, it is especially unpleasant
- It is unhealthy and an eyesore for residents and visitors
Any waste that isn’t separated is taken to the temporary waste site at Stavropeda, where, eventually, it will be transported out of Andros at some cost. We can reduce these issues and the volume of waste we generate by making a few simple changes to start composting.
What is Compost?
- The word compost comes from the English word compost, which has its root in the Latin word composites!
- Composting is an entirely natural process that turns organic materials into a rich dark substance. This substance is called compost or humus, or soil conditioner and can enrich the soil in your garden.
- Compost can be made by putting organic waste into a bin. With the help of oxygen, the correct ratio of carbon and nitrogen, the warm temperature in the bin, and the microorganisms (earthworms are placed in the larger bins), the waste decomposes and is converted into a natural soil improver.
- After a few months, this organic waste will have transformed effortessly into a ready-to-use compost that can be used to revitalise the soil in your garden.
How can I Compost?
- If you live in Chora you can use the Chora Compost Service to dispose of your organic waste.
Read more about this service
- Compost your own organic waste at home. For very little cost you can reduce waste and make a soil improver for your garden
Read more about how to make your own compost
- Compost Services in Batsi & Gavrio : More information coming soon on a new composting initiative in Batsi and Gavrio areas.
The Chora Compost Service
In 2011, a Composter was donated to the Municipality of Andros – The Chora composter has a capacity of 15 cubic meters.
The compost service operates in the area of Chora only. Special Brown Compost bins are located in convenient places around Chora, where you can drop your organic home and garden waste.
The composter is a machine running on electricity and operated by a trained person. A large variety of organic waste including meat and dairy products can be turned into compost here. The machine stirs the compost, controlling and regulating the temperature and humidity. Eventually rich dark compost is produced.
Today the service operates on a pilot basis in the Chora area. There are special brown compost bins in specific places around the town,
Just drop your organic waste off in one of the brown bins in Chora or take it to the CHORA COMPOST CENTER (situated in the former slaughterhouses of Chora). Garden waste, with branches up to 2cm thick, can be disposed of at the Chora Compost Service. Bulky garden waste with thicker branches can be left next to the Shredder, which is located just opposite the CHORA COMPOST CENTER.
Look for “Chora – Shredder” on the map.
Ready to use compost is available at the Chora Compost Center, for use in your garden or farm. Please send an SMS text to Mr Jorgos, tel. 6976880142, to agree a time to pick up your compost.
Rest of Andros
In the future the aim is to expand the service throughout the island.
S T A R T T O D A Y !
Your organic waste is a valuable resource. Please don’t put it in the general waste. For a cleaner and greener Andros!!